Saturday, October 31, 2009

First Place!

Over the past weeks I have referred several times to the benchmark years of Pioneer football success: 1960...1986...1991...1996...2003....

Well I would advise you to savor what you are witnessing this season. Before this is all over, 2009 has a chance to be up there with the best of them all. With their convincing 27-13 demolition of Newburyport today (trust me, it wasn't even that close), the Pioneers have cleared a path for themselves that leads to the CAL Small Championship.

Of course it won't be as easy as it might appear as the Pioneers have to face two rapidly improving teams in Ipswich (at their place) and Hamilton Wenham (getting healthy at the wrong time for Lynnfield), and then a tough-as-always battle on Thanksgiving Day with North Reading. The Pioneers have to win two of those three games and I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to see it come down to a must win situation on Turkey Day.

But there is plenty of time to worry about that (and from what I saw today from some of the Dads on the sideline, some fingernails will be bitten down to the knuckles before this is done). For now enjoy the big win in the biggest Lynnfield High football game in nearly two decades. The kids played great and richly deserved the "W" and their hard earned perch atop the league.

More on the game in my Villager game story on Wednesday, and much more right here in my post later tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. What took you so long to get this story posted!

    Good work.

    ReplyDelete